Yes, these Incandescent lightbulbs are still being made in most all shapes and wattages including BR 30, BR 40. Although, to qualify for the new energy efficiency, they now have Halogen added.

My townhouse has all recessed can lights, BR 30’s and BR 40’s. Will these lightbulbs still be available for me to buy?
The table lamp next to my bed takes an old fashioned 60 watt incandescent lightbulb, so what can I replace it with?
I don’t like the artificial color of the compact fluorescents.  

To get the same look, feel, & nearly the same brightness as the original 60 watt bulbs, you can now buy 43 watt Halogen-added incandescent lightbulbs, which use 28% less energy and produce almost twice as much light (Lumens) as the old 40 watt bulbs.  


I have recessed lights in the Master Closet & have always used the incandescent bulbs (I think they are called R40’s, about 5” in diameter). I know that I won’t be happy with the CFL’s or LED’s because the light they give off is not the same as the incandescent ones. Is there a solution close to what I have always had?

Because the R (Reflector) bulbs are not as efficient, they are being phased out in favor of PAR lightbulbs. More energy-efficient & producing more light (Lumens), consider the Halogen Infrared PAR38 bulbs in 48 & 70 watts, replacing 75 & 100 watt bulbs, respectively. 


In the garage, as well as my husband’s shop, we have the original fluorescent strip fixtures from when the house was built 15 years ago. Will there be any problem with buying lightbulbs for these fixtures?

Fixtures of that approximate age most likely have magnetic ballasts with T12 lightbulbs (1-1/2” diameter), both of which are now obsolete.
You can either have the ballasts changed out to electronic ones to accept the more efficient T8 lightbulbs (1” diameter) or replace the fixtures.


All of my bathrooms have those strip light fixtures with the round globe-like lightbulbs. As they burn out, what will be available for me to buy to replace them?

Generally, you will be able to replace them as the following “G” lightbulbs are exempt from the new energy regulations: those less than 4” in diameter, using 40 watts or less; and G lightbulbs 5” or larger in diameter (any wattage).


Like many homes, we have those 2-light security lights around our home’s exterior. With the new energy regulations, will we be able to buy those lightbulbs (about 5” round)?

Yes, because typically PAR30 or PAR38 lightbulbs are used, they are still available although they now produce more light (Lumens) with less energy consumed.   

What is the best type of lightbulb for energy savings?   

For more energy savings with a minimal loss of the natural feel & look of incandescent, there is the option of compact fluorescents (CFL) which are a “corkscrew” fluorescent in a reflector-shaped glass. The wattage consumed is a third to a half of incandescent.


Rick Grett      T: 713.825.5695      E: rickgrett@gmail.com


© 2014 by THE LUMINAIRE. All rights reserved